Monday, November 8, 2010

The Pink Ribbon and Other Things

Blogging has been on my mind, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Part of the reason for that was that I didn't feel like writing about what was really on my mind so much last month.

October was "breast cancer awareness month," but it may as well have been called "breast cancer fear month" as far as I was concerned. That fear seems to have dissipated, thankfully, after some journaling, praying and meditating on the truth of not being able to add an hour to my life regardless of how much I might worry. (Just FYI, for those who don't know, I'm considered "high risk" in relation to breast cancer since a close family member had it, and for some reason last month, I was thinking about it so much and fearing it, although it's nothing I've feared before despite a family history of it.)

In other news, of the more cheerful kind...which I may, or may not, expound on later:

...Dan has only 1 week left of this grueling rotation

...I've started a new braided rug with wool from some great stores a friend introduced me
to recently (thanks, J!)

...I'm going to be a sewing instructor 1 day a month this winter at a cute, cute fabric store

...Edwin has begun pulling himself across the floor on his belly

...I've ordered a new Keeper (size A) and am excited to see what cute fabric it'll come in this time (google "The Keeper", if you're curious)

...I've had to return more of my bumgenius diapers b/c of faulty velcro but I've been able to get them replaced with snap-closure diapers

...I've crocheted Edwin a wool hat with ear flaps and am going to try and make mittens too

...I'm going to experiment and make Dan a reusable, washable lunch bag - using my own pattern (which is yet to be created)

And now I hear a little boy upstairs, so it's time for me to go!

2 comments:

  1. I Love that you are such a hippy! I'm really surprised we didn't connect as friends sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking of you since your last post, even though I never did get around to commenting!

    Being a mom can be lonely, and I have friends whose husbands are gone a lot because of work schedules. It's hard. I'm spoiled because MLJ works in the basement (though I try really hard not to be down there all the time).

    You're doing great, keeping busy and being productive in the home! Know that it's okay to be lonely for Dan, though. Better to be lonely than wish you were, right?

    And for the breast cancer thing...one advantage you have is that you breastfed! Keep it up 'til he's one, have another one if you can, and breastfeed for another year and your risk lowers by something like 50 percent.

    ReplyDelete