One of my recent projects has been to replace the velcro from my bum Genius diapers with snaps. I bought a snap pliers months ago because I decided to use snaps when making any future diapers. I am done with any kind of velcro/aplix/hookandloop kind of closure. For whatever reason, a lot of the velcro on my bg diapers was coming unstitched and less sticky. So I took matters into my own hands. I'd heard of others converting hookandloop diapers into snap diapers and after examining the diapers, realized it really wasn't going to be difficult.
Here's what I did:
1. Examined the construction of the diaper.
2. Took off all the velcro with my trusty seam ripper - a sewer's best friend!
(See that part of the velcro on the front that is pulling off?! Grr.)
3. Discovered that this seam could easily be removed, giving me access to the part of the diaper where I needed to apply snaps.
4. Applied the snaps with the pliers after marking the spaces for the snaps using a printed grid from some kind person online who had done the same thing (sorry, no pics of this).
And here's the finished product from the front.
I went with white snaps because I got a bunch when I bought the snap pliers, and I have too many different colors to order all of them. I have about 4 more diapers to convert. One diaper will not be converted b/c the PUL is wearing out and they've actually been leaking through the fabric. Sad, but true. I guess that one won't make it much longer.
I put the rest of the velcro-to-snaps conversion on hold recently to focus on other projects. Enough of the 16 bg diapers are converted to satisfy me for now.