A few weeks ago I finally bought a piano bench from an antique store in New Jersey (yes, I drove to NJ for a piano bench).
What you can't tell from these pictures is that this fabric was quite dingy looking and dirty. I did kind of like the stitching, but decided it was too dirty to salvage.
I took off the lid/seat and sanded and painted the base black to match the piano. I stripped off the old upholstery and found the original upholstery underneath. The fabric looked like it was in good shaped but little fibers were flaking off, and it smelled a tad musty.
I went to my local upholstery fabric warehouse, bought some fabric that would coordinate with the drapes and recovered it. I kept the old original padding but put a layer of quilt batting over top for a little extra. I stapled the new fabric on and covered the raw edges with trim. I was planning to use upholstery tacks for the trim, like it was originally, but I opted for hot glue instead. We'll see how it holds up.
Susanna supervised while I screwed the seat back on, and then I promptly dug out the piano books my sister lent me.
I found the beginner book and decided to see how much I could remember. I forgot that these were the books I used during my 1 year of piano lessons many years ago. There was my name, written in pencil by the piano teacher, and there was the sticker chart at the back where I would earn a sticker if I practiced enough. (Confession: I cheated on those practice charts. It's true. I didn't like practicing but I really, really wanted my piano teacher to be happy with me. I'm guessing she probably knew I didn't practice as much as I said I did, but she never said anything...so I guess I wasn't a perfect child after all...)
I'm looking forward to more self-taught piano lessons this summer.