Tuesday, December 10, 2013


As I mentioned in my last post, I've been sewing a lot lately, and one of my recent projects was Simplicity pattern 2246, the Lisette Traveler Dress.  If you do a google images search, you'll see that it was a popular dress pattern among home sewers.  There was one blogger in particular who made a very cute version. Although I don't often wear button down shirts, I somehow decided that I should make this dress. 


Because I knew this would take a good chunk of time and energy, and I really didn't want to make a dress I wouldn't wear (this has happened on more than one occasion, unfortunately), I made a muslin. Meaning, I made a sample dress in some random fabric I had on hand. Maybe I'll work up the nerve to show you that dress. The sample dress is hideous, mostly because the fabric looks like wallpaper. But I like my finished product. 

As you will see from my pictures, I didn't stray too far from the pattern when it comes to fabric choice. I'm not very good at choosing the right fabric for dresses (the main reason some previously sewn dresses did not look so great), so I decided to play it safe.


I bought a very lightweight denim and used the "wrong" side of the fabric (according to the way it was on the bolt) as my right side. Overall, I'm pleased with the result. I did make a couple alterations as well. I added darts in the back so that there would be a more fitted shape and I used 5/8 inch buttons instead of standard 1/2 inch buttons. One thing I would change if I made another is to widen the upper part of the back pattern piece. This is the second fitted garment I've made that is a bit too tight across my shoulder blades. So now I know for the next project.


The pictures aren't the greatest quality, but I'm not too picky.