Friday, March 17, 2017

Almost Springtime Freeze

We didn't get many inches of snow, but what we did get was covered with ice. I've always loved the look of ice covered trees and shrubs, but this year it was a little bittersweet since some plants had started flowering early. Some shrubs we planted last year were just starting to grow new leaves, the forsythia was blooming, and a magnolia tree had bloomed and been burnt by the freezing temperatures over the weekend. I love wintry weather (when the power doesn't go out!), but this time around I was concerned for the new growth on plants. And concerned about falling tree limbs. We did have some of that on our property, but thankfully nothing that downed any power lines or damaged anything else.

I love winter and I love springtime, and I prefer them in their proper order. Too many mild, spring-like days in February have really messed up early-blooming plants around here. I felt sad seeing cherry trees in bloom a couple weeks ago, because I knew they would freeze. One of our magnolia trees started to bloom before a freeze, but not all the buds opened. The other bloomed between two freezing weekends. I'm really, really hoping the first magnolia survives and has some buds that can bloom when it's really spring. Weather out-of-whack worries me. And knowing that we won't be able to enjoy some colors of spring because they bloomed too early this year just makes me feel sad.


The iced forsythia



Broken Cedar branches




Top-heavy Arbor Vitae



Iced Trees





Broken Arbor Vitae 




Frozen, iced Magnolia blooms



No comments:

Post a Comment