Friday, April 2, 2010
Our Little Jokester is Here!
Well, Edwin Daniel arrived bright and early on April 1, 2010. He arrive at 2:15 a.m. on Thursday - his due date.
Here are a few birth story details, if you're interested.
Because of some high blood pressure, I was induced on Wednesday, the 31st. I was really hoping to go into labor naturally and was actually contracting (no discomfort, however) regularly when we went to the hospital at 6 a.m. I was 2-3 cm dilated and about 80% effaced at this point - a good start
My midwife broke my water around 11 a.m. and uncomfortable contractions started about an hour or so later. This is me in the early stages - before contractions got really tough.
After getting to 4 cm and remaining there for a number of hours, the pitocin was started (cringe) at a low dose. That got things moving along (and tough!), but I wasn't fully dilated until midnight.
Then, finally, it was time to push, although I'd had a number of contractions shortly before that where my body just wanted to bear down!
Then, finally, after 2 hours and 15 minutes of pushing my 8 lbs., 13 oz. boy was born.
I got to hold him briefly right after birth, but because he was so calm and didn't cry much, they nurse took him to make sure he was breathing okay. He pinked up and it wasn't long before I got to hold him again.
A few interesting tidbits about my labor and delivery:
- I did it naturally as far as pain meds go - no epidural! It was a goal of mine to have a natural labor, and although I didn't go into labor totally naturally, I did "manage the pain" naturally!
- I had a mirror positioned at the end of the bed during the pushing stage so that I could see the progress. And I got to touch the top of Edwin's head as I was in between pushes.
- A birth ball was a wonderful tool early on in labor and I made use of it for a number of hours
- I ended up with a small episiotomy because Edwin's head was in the birth canal so long and some of my tissue just wasn't stretching. Did I mind when the doctor finally decided to make a small cut? NOT AT ALL! I was ready to meet my son!
- Labor lasted 14.25 hours - including the pushing.
- Edwin was 8 lbs, 13 oz., 21.5 inches long.