Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Projects

I've taken a little break from packing. There's only so much I can handle at a time, and thankfully, I have the time to take a breather. I don't actually have too much more to do. Elena's closet and a few things in the guest room are all that remain of items we don't use on a regular basis. I hauled some things to a thrift store this past weekend and returned a chair we'd borrowed. There is something in me that is satisfied when I get rid of stuff. We have a lot more we could get rid of, but some of that decision-making will happen once we actually move.

In the meantime, I've taken on a couple of projects. I bought some braided fabric at a thrift store months ago and finally started lacing it into a rug. It's some kind of synthetic velour-like knit fabric. It laces pretty easily, but still not as nicely as wool. However, the biggest surprise is that I think I'm actually going to like the finished product. I know it sounds silly - why would I buy braided fabric for a rug if I'm not even sure I'll like it? I figured if I didn't like it, I could always donate the rug back to the thrift store and let someone buy it who would like it. But how could I let perfectly good braids sit unlaced when I knew I could do it?!



The other project is sewing a swim suit cover up for a friend. I'll end up with a similar one since I want to practice it at least once before making the final product. You can see what it looks like at the following link.

http://www.merricksart.com/2015/02/diy-friday-pom-pom-trim-beach-coverup.html?m=1

Hope you're finding some hobbies to fill your evenings this winter (you know, something to distract you from the piles of laundry and dust bunnies under the couch.).

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that cover-up! I made myself a cover-up with an oversize men's shirt from the thrift store - added the bobble trim to the cuffs and hem. So fun and so breezy to wear.

    And I love the rug, too! I'd love to make a braided rug sometime.

    ReplyDelete