Saturday, September 15, 2018

Third Floor Finale - Finally!

The room has been done (minus a final coat of paint for the railing and stair risers, but that may just wait for a few more years) for quite a while but I finally got around to taking some "after" pictures. I didn't do much cleaning up, so you can see some of my daughter's toys as well as the ever-growing piles of medical journals and publications on a shelf.

The kids really wanted this as a playroom, but we weren't willing to designate a whole room to toys and kids' items. My husband has a desk and computer in the room, we have a futon so it can be extra guest space and I've been placing small bookshelves around the room and slowly unpacking (3 years later!) the books we've had in boxes since moving here. It is a great room to escape to on a quiet afternoon for a nap or space for a child who wants some alone time.

Just as a reference point, here is the previous post showing some before and during pictures.


Before



After


(FYI, I think this picture is a better representation of how the wall color looks )


The view at the top of the stairs:  Before




After








Roman Shades...I posted briefly about them here. They work, and they are even!
 I always hold my breath a bit when making two of something like this because they need to
 match and be the exact same length or they look sloppy. I have to tap into my almost 
non-existent type A self when sewing roman shades.




We have two dormers on the third floor, and while I could have made Roman shades for these, 
they face the west, are closed more often when upstairs, and so a simple drape is much 
easier to sew and use. I basically only had enough discipline to make two Roman shades.




Storage! We had two additional storage areas built into this room, and I'm glad we did. There was originally an area in the middle of the one side that had doors leading to storage and we knew we would want more. Plus, there was room under the eaves. The basement is too damp to really be a good storage space for certain things, so these spaces serve as our attic. You can see some of the other doors in a few of the pictures above. On one side there are 4 doors - those are all storage areas. On the facing wall there is just one door, and that is where the air-handler for our AC unit is.






1 comment:

  1. Well done with the shades and curtain! How nice to add storage and a multi-purpose room, too.

    ReplyDelete